Oceanside, CA – Jim Wangers, the man most closely associated with the advertising and promotion of Pontiac during its glory days of the 60s and 70s and the man affectionately termed the “Godfather of the GTO” has decided to “thin the herd”. Wangers is offering his prized collection of Pontiac’s—Goats and Firebirds—for sale. Included is Wangers’ collection of Trans Ams—a complete set of Anniversary Edition cars—a ’69, a ’79, an ’89 and a ’99 Convertible.
Jim Wangers is not only Pontiac’s legendary “ad man”, he has always been an avid enthusiast, driving and racing since the late 50s with a win at the 1960 NHRA Nationals in a Pontiac to his credit. Nearing 84, Wangers recently stated, “I am not really able to enjoy these cars like I used to do. I respect these cars too much, so I’ve decided it is time for other more capable enthusiasts to get behind the wheel and feel the performance of my favorite Pontiacs.”
The Wangers Collection includes a ’65 Royal Bobcat GTO, his all-time favorite ’69 GTO Judge as well as a mix of Firebirds to mention a few. These Pontiacs all have significant meaning to Wangers given his involvement in the creation, marketing and promotion of so many notable Pontiacs.
Each car comes with its complete PHS (Pontiac Historic Services documentation) and can be personally autographed by Jim Wangers for the new owner.
These wonderful Pontiacs are “drivers” not “trailer queens”. They do what they were built to do—run and show people their taillights.
Now is every enthusiasts dream come true—a chance to own a Pontiac of memorable significance. Details on The Jim Wangers Collection can be viewed on Wangers’ website, www.geetotiger.com—they are GR-RRReat cars worthy of a closer look!
Here are the cars listed:
* 1965 GTO Sport Coupe, Jim Wangers’ personal ROYAL BOBCAT Tribute
* 1966 GTO Convertible, was featured on TV in A&E’s “America’s Top Musclecars” where the GTO was named #1
* 1967 Firebird 400, Pontiac Enthusiast Magazine “Greenbird” project car – original 400/400 “Fabulous Firebird”.
* 1969 GTO Judge, Jim Wangers Absolute Favorite GTO in Carousel Red
* 1969 GTO Judge, Original Drag Race “Dealer Program” Car in Carousel Red
* 1969 Firebird Trans Am, the “REAL” deal — A numbers matching Ram Air III Trans Am
* 1979 Firebird Trans Am, a 10th Anniversary Trans Am with less than 100 miles on the odometer
* 1989 Firebird Trans Am, a 20th Anniversary Trans Am, Documented Indy 500 Parade Car
* 1999 Firebird Trans Am Convertible, the 30th Anniversary Trans Am featured in Motor Trend and Car and Driver magazines.
* 2000 Holden Commodore HSV GTS-R, the “very” car that inspired Bob Lutz to seek from Holden (GM’s Australian car maker) a car for U.S. buyers—the ’04 Pontiac GTO.